Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Perspective

It's funny how one's perspective will change when removed from their normal surroundings, culture, and circumstances. I've lived outside of America for one month. That's it. A short month. Most would assume that it's no huge deal to "survive" for a month in another country, culture, and surrounded by a different religion. If you've never done it, maybe you should try it.

I've moved to two different homes in the last 28 days. I've eaten more chicken than I previously thought humanly possible, yet I haven't entirely grown tired of it. My home country has threatened to attack a country; the country I currently reside in would feel huge repercussions from any sort of attack. Because of this, I'm sometimes surrounded by tension so thick it could be cut with a knife.

I started taking classes in the local language. I cannot make some of the sounds that are necessary to speak it. Today in class, I felt like I was going to choke on my tongue if I continued to try to pronounce certain words. (It was really quite humorous!)

The name of the game... wait. This has progressed beyond fun and games. Let me rephrase... The way to handle life is to be FLEXIBLE. Be prepared for CHANGE. I have to remind myself that being fluid and "going with the flow" is not only necessary, but it's the only way to stay sane in the situation I live in. I've had to change my perspective. I have to force myself to do things differently. I've had to entirely overhaul certain parts of my life and lifestyle. And it's OK! I'm doing well. I'm processing these changes (sometimes out loud, or in writing, in the case of this blog post), and its OK. I know the One Who is in control of my life, of the situation I live in, and of the whole universe.

I sleep in peace each night, completely comfortable and resting in the knowledge that LIFE IS AN ADVENTURE. (Pack appropriately.) I think I have what it takes to live out this adventure. You?

**On a different note, I think my next blog post will be a collection of funny and humorous stories I've already collected from my time here. Be prepared to laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment