Saturday, December 29, 2012

Hey, Christians...

FYI, this post will mainly be food for thought for my Christian friends out there...

My mom sent me a link to a neat video by David Barton as he gives part of a tour in the US Capitol. Many of you know that Barton is a US historian and an authority on US Christian history, in particular. He likes to set the record straight on a number of issues that our ever-increasing secular world brings up. If you, like me, enjoy history and are interested in how Christianity played quite a role in United States history, check out this video!

(You can find out more about David Barton's work here. I've heard him speak live on several occasions, and am always thrilled an amazed at new, enlightening info that he shares! It's pretty cool. The guy is SO smart and on top of all sorts of historical, factual things. Warning: a lot of non-Christians and historians don't like the things that Barton teaches. But most of what he presents can't be refuted. Do some thinking, folks!)

Next, in one of my textbooks for the fall semester, I came across a neat quote. It really struck a chord with me, as a Christian. I am a Christ-follower. While there are a million other aspects that make me who I am and define me (like sports and patriotism), I know that my relationship with Jesus Christ is the most important and what makes a real difference. However, I am always running across other Christians (especially within the Seminary bubble) who are so wrapped up in their "holy living" and debate about "Christian things" {my own terms/views used in quotations here} amongst themselves that they forget to live their lives. While theological debates are important in the fact that its imperative you know what you believe and how to defend it, a Christian arguing with another Christian is not going to impact eternity. You're not loving others by arguing, and you're certainly not living or telling the Gospel to a world who desperately needs some Good News. That said, here is the quote that I'd love Christians to meditate on:

"We are a disobedient people. We argue about the definition of worldwide evangelization and we debate the details of eschatology, while we neglect the command of the Word of God to evangelize the world". -George Ladd

I'm not out to point fingers or start a useless debate or argument. These things just made me think and put stuff into perspective. Maybe they will for you, too.

1 comment:

  1. Yep. And I would add that we would start by loving one another since the Bible specifically said the world we'll know we're Christians by our love for one another. Then we should love our neighbors. We could change the world doing those two things.

    ReplyDelete